A Century of Community
Nedlands Uniting is the result of the joining of Aldersgate (Methodist) and St Paul’s (Presbyterian) churches in 1977. Our Church (in it’s many forms) has been part of the Nedlands community for over 100 years, and in our current location for 100 years.
Prior to 1923, the Methodist and Presbyterian congregations met together in Arcadian Tea Rooms (on the Nedlands foreshore) and in member’s houses. In 1922 the Methodists built the wooden Church Hall and held their first service on 18 February 1923.
A Heritage Listed Legacy
The hall was designed by architect James Hine and built by Thomas Well. At the time, there were 35 foundation members of the Church. The Church proper was built in 1957. The foundation stone of the new Church was laid by Mr C N Langsford in September 1956. Architects Powell and Chisholm designed the Church while builders Hobbs and Walters were responsible for the construction.
The Methodist Church was known as Aldersgate Church. In 1977, the Church merged with St Paul’s Presbyterian Church to form Nedlands Uniting Church in its current form, becoming part of the Uniting Church in Australia.
In 1996, the Nedlands Uniting Church building became heritage listed, with the Western Australian government stating “The story of the Methodist faith in Nedlands is embodied in the Church. It is representative of the growth and development of Church facilities throughout the Nedlands district In the Inter-War period.”